Senior Honors Thesis
Many Honors Carolina students cap their undergraduate experience with a Senior Honors Thesis, partnering with a faculty mentor to develop original research and creative work. Students who successfully defend their theses before a faculty review panel graduate with Honors or Highest Honors.
Each year, approximately 350 seniors complete a Senior Honors Thesis. For many students, the thesis becomes a first publication or an important part of their application to graduate or professional school.
Students enrolled in the final semester of their thesis coursework must complete all related work (including defense) by the following deadlines. Please note that dates are subject to change if adjustments are made to the Academic or University Registrar’s Calendars.
- Fall 2015 – Monday, November 16, 2015
- Spring 2016 – Monday, April 11, 2016
- Fall 2016 – Monday, November 14, 2016
Your department should report your name to the Honors Carolina office by the relevant deadline above to confirm that you will be graduating with honors in your degree.
Students are also required to upload the final version of their thesis to the Carolina Digital Repository by the final day of class in the semester in which they complete the thesis coursework. Detailed instructions are in the guidelines document below.
Students may complete a Senior Honors Thesis in more than 50 academic majors. Click on the majors below for more information.
- African & Afro-American Studies
- American Studies
- Applied Science and Engineering
- Art (Art History, Studio Art)
- Asian Studies
- Communication Studies
- Computer Science
- Cultural Studies
- Dramatic Art
- English & Comparative Literature (Comparative Literature, Creative Writing, English)
- Environment & Ecology (Environmental Science, Environmental Studies)
- Exercise & Sport Science
- Geological Sciences
- Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures
- Global Studies
- Institute for the Study of the Americas (Latin American Studies
- Peace, War, & Defense
- Physics & Astronomy
- Political Science
- Public Policy
- Religious Studies
- Romance Languages & Literatures (French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish)
- Sociology (Management & Society, Sociology)
- Statistics & Operations Research (Mathematical Decision Sciences)
- Women’s Studies
- UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy
- UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health (Biostatistics, Environmental Health Science, Health Policy & Management, Nutrition)
- UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School (Business Administration)
- UNC School of Education
- UNC School of Information & Library Science
- UNC School of Journalism & Mass Communication
- UNC School of Nursing