The Luce Scholars Program
The Luce Scholars Program offers 15-18 young Americans annually a fellowship experience in Asia designed both to broaden their professional perspectives and to sharpen their perceptions of Asia, America, and themselves. The program is funded by the Henry Luce Foundation and administered in Asia in cooperation with The Asia Foundation.
Launched in 1974, the Luce Scholars Program is aimed at a highly qualified group of young Americans in a variety of professional fields. It is unique among American-Asian exchanges because it is intended for young leaders with little or no prior experience of Asia who otherwise might not have an opportunity in the normal course of their careers to gain in-depth knowledge about Asia or their Asian counterparts and contemporaries.
In spite of its name, the Luce Scholars Program is experiential rather than academic in nature. At the heart of the enterprise is the internship arranged for each Scholar on the basis of his or her specific interest, background, qualifications, and experience. These work assignments run for approximately ten months, from September until July of the following year, and are intended primarily as learning opportunities for Luce Scholars.
Visit the official Luce Scholars Program website here.
View the official Luce Foundation website here.
2014-15 Application Information for UNC-CH Applicants
- Be a US citizen.
- Be either currently enrolled at UNC-CH or an alumnus of UNC-CH.
- Possess a competitive GPA of 3.500 or higher.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree by July 1 of the program year.
- Be less than 30 years old on July 1 of the program year.
- Have spent less than twelve weeks in Asia and have not pursued a major in Asian studies.
- Demonstrate a strong motivation and potential for accomplishment within the applicants chosen field.
- Give evidence of outstanding capacity for leadership.
- Receive UNC-CH’s endorsement through the Office of Distinguished Scholarships (ODS). UNC-CH applicants may apply for the University’s endorsement through the below application process.
- Attend an ODS information session to learn more about the Luce Scholars Program application process.
- Highly recommended: Contact both ODS and Raymond Farrow before the beginning the fall semester. Applicants will receive feedback to consider as they prepare for the endorsement deadline. Mr. Farrow is a former Luce Scholar and is the chair of the UNC-CH Luce Scholars Program Selection Committee, and potential applicants are strongly urged to talk with him before submitting an application for endorsement. In addition, applicants who would like feedback on their personal statement and resume are encouraged to submit drafts to ODS before the end of the spring semester.
2014-2015 Deadlines and Dates
ODS Fall General Information Session: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 5PM ET in Murphey 116
UNC-CH Luce Endorsement Application Deadline: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 at 5PM ET
UNC-CH Luce Endorsement Interviews: Friday October 3, 2014 (overflow day Saturday, October 4, 2014)
Luce Scholars Program Final Deadline: Early November 2014
Luce Applicant Interviews: November and December 2014
Notification of Luce Finalist Status: January 2015
Luce Finalist Interviews: January and early February 2015
Luce Selection Announcement: Mid-February 2015
2014-15 UNC-CH Application for Endorsement
Please contact ODS immediately with questions or to schedule an appointment, especially if you are considering multiple scholarship endorsements.
Endorsement Application Instructions
All of the items below must be received by ODS on or before the UNC-CH Endorsement Application Deadline. Letters of recommendation may be submitted by email as noted below. All other materials should be submitted as hard copies. These hard copies must be single-sided; typed in black ink; paper-clipped WITHOUT staples; clearly labeled with the applicant’s name; AND should be submitted in a labeled, sealed, and signed large envelope.
Submit all hard copy application materials* to ODS to the below location:Office of Distinguished Scholarships RE: UNC-CH Endorsement Application Campus Box #3510, 225 Graham Memorial Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3510
*If you are currently either studying abroad or outside of NC, please contact ODS at least one week before the endorsement application deadline to discuss relevant logistical details.
1. Email Your Intent to Apply
Please notify ODS at firstname.lastname@example.org with your intent to apply.
- Please review this page to receive ODS’ general advice and tips for applications.
The ODS application cover includes a demographic and waiver form. Please view instructions as a sample form here. After you have viewed this sample, please fill out the blank form, available to download here (fillable PDF).
- Personal Statement
This statement should not exceed 1000 words and must fit on the two pages in the application form. The personal statement should explain the development of the applicant’s long-range career interests, the applicant’s understanding of leadership, and the applicant’s reasons for applying to the Luce Scholars Program.
Two recent passport-sized color photographs of the applicant should be included as application materials. The applicant’s name should be clearly printed in black ink on the back of each photograph. Please contact ODS if you require assistance.
4. Letters of Recommendation
a. Three to four recommendations should be submitted for your endorsement application. We recommend you first read this letter of guidance and then share it with your letter of recommendation writers. Please contact ODS if you need advice on choosing and contacting a recommender.
i. It is helpful to provide context by sharing these endorsement application requirements, your resume or CV, and your specific academic and professional interests and goals.
ii. At least three of these four letters should be from someone who can speak in detail about your specific interests, background, qualifications, and experience; and, if relevant, your scholarly work and potential. This may include supervisors and professors. It is preferable to choose a professor instead of a teaching assistant.
iii. Include a list of the names and email addresses of your recommenders in your application envelope.
iv. Please, be mindful of the time it takes your recommenders to write strong, effective letters–do not ask for more letters than you will need. Stay in contact with your recommenders through relevant deadlines so that both you and your recommenders can respond accordingly. Contact ODS if you need further guidance.
b. Applicants who receive UNC-CH’s endorsement will need to collect up to one additional letter to apply to the Luce Scholars Program, for a total of four letters.
c. Applicants should NOT be given access to their letters of recommendation.
d. Letters should be addressed to “The Luce Scholars Program Selection Committee.” Recommenders who have questions should contact ODS here.
e. Recommendation letters for the endorsement application stage may be sent directly to ODS by email. Recommenders may email their letters to ODS as either MS Word documents or PDFs. If desired, recommenders may instead submit their letters directly to ODS by campus mail or standard postal mail at the above location. Each recommender must submit his or her letter directly to ODS so that it is received by the UNC-CH Endorsement Application Deadline.
f. If an applicant receives UNC-CH’s endorsement, recommenders will receive additional instructions if they need to resubmit their letters.
5. University Transcripts
Submit an official cumulative transcript for each college or university attended. This transcript should reflect the final grades for the most recent term applicable.
a. Official UNC-CH transcripts for applicants can be delivered to ODS directly from the UNC-CH Office of the University Registrar. Please place your order at least two weeks in advance of the endorsement deadline, and click here to learn about transcript fee waivers.
b. As an alternative, applicants may submit an officially sealed transcript for each college or university attended directly to ODS when they submit their application for endorsement.
c. If you have already submitted an official transcript(s) to ODS for another endorsed award and the transcript(s) is still current as described above, you do NOT need to order another transcript(s). Instead, please include a printed note with your PID, name, the number of transcripts that should be included, and the date when you previously submitted this transcript to ODS. Place this note in your application envelope.
2014-15 UNC-CH Endorsement Interviews and Endorsement
- Endorsement Interviews: Based on the application for endorsement, competitive applicants will be invited to interview with the UNC-CH Luce Scholars Program Selection Committee. Applicants unavailable for on-campus interviews must contact ODS at least one month prior to discuss other available interview options.
- Application Revisions: Applicants endorsed by the UNC-CH Luce Scholars Program Selection Committee will have approximately five weeks to make revisions with assistance from Mr. Farrow and ODS and to update their application materials.
- Final Submission: Endorsed applicants will provide a print-out to Mr. Farrow and a copy to ODS of their final application materials so that these materials can be submitted to the Luce Scholars Program.
2014-15 Finalist and Selection Process
- Applicant Interviews: All applicants endorsed by their institutions will be interviewed either in-person or remotely between November and December.
- Finalist Notification: Approximately 45 applicants will be notified in January if they have been selected by the Luce Scholars Program as a Finalist.
- Finalist Interviews: Finalists are invited to interview in early February with an independent selection committee.
- Selection Announcement: Finalists are notified in mid-February if they have been selected as a Luce Scholar.
ODS Contact Information
Please contact ODS here for questions and to schedule an appointment.
2014-2015 Deadlines and Dates
Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 5PM ET in Murphey 116
UNC-CH Luce Endorsement Application Deadline
Wednesday, September 24, 2014 at 5PM ET
UNC-CH Luce Endorsement Interviews
Friday October 3, 2014 (overflow day Saturday, October 4, 2014)
Luce Scholars Program Final Deadline
Early November 2014
Luce Applicant Interviews
November and December 2014
Notification of Luce Finalist Status
Luce Finalist Interviews
January and early February 2015
Luce Selection Announcement