The Mitchell Scholarship
The George J. Mitchell Scholarships are named in honor of former U.S. Senator George J. Mitchell for his pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process. These scholarships allow approximately 14 American post-graduates annually to pursue one year of study at institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland. There are no restrictions concerning academic field of study. Mitchell Scholars demonstrate significant achievement in academic excellence, leadership, and commitment to community and public service.
Visit the official Mitchell Scholarship website here.
2013-2014 Application Information for UNC-CH Applicants
NOTE: The Mitchell Scholarship endorsement application deadline for the 2014-2015 academic year is Tuesday, August 5, 2014 at 5PM ET. The below information and instructions will be updated for the 2014-2015 academic year. Please contact ODS if you have any questions or to schedule an appointment.
- Be a US citizen.
- Be either currently enrolled as a senior at UNC-CH or an alumnus of UNC-CH.
- Will have obtained a bachelor’s degree before beginning study as a Mitchell Scholar.
- Be between 18 and 29 years old by September 30 in the year of application.
- Possess a competitive GPA of 3.800 or higher.
- Receive UNC-CH’s endorsement through the Office of Distinguished Scholarships (ODS). UNC-CH applicants may apply for the University’s endorsement through the below application process.
- Attend an ODS information session to learn more about the Mitchell Scholarship application process.
- Highly Recommended: Submit a preliminary draft personal statement and resume to ODS before the end of the spring semester. Applicants will receive feedback to consider over the summer as they prepare for the endorsement deadline.
UNC-CH Application for Endorsement
All of the items below must be submitted as hard copies and received by ODS on or before the UNC-CH Endorsement Application Deadline. All items must be typed in black ink, single-sided, paper-clipped without staples, and clearly labeled with the applicant’s name. Applicants may contact ODS for formatting advice.
This demographic and waiver form will be available in July.
Print out your completed online application or copy and paste it into a Word document and print it out. The online application is available here. Applicants may save their answers online but they should NOT submit their application online as they are applying for UNC-CH endorsement. More information about the application itself can be found here and the Mitchell Scholarship website provides relevant resources here. The application form DOES include more than the below highlighted components.
- Personal Statement
This statement should not exceed 1000 words and should demonstrate the applicant’s personality, passion, and drive.
- Letters of Recommendations
a. Three to four recommendations should be submitted for your endorsement application. Answers to frequently asked questions are posted here. Each recommender must submit his or her letter directly to ODS so that it is received by the UNC-CH Endorsement Application Deadline.
b. Letters should be addressed to “The Mitchell Scholarship Selection Committee.” ODS highly recommends applicants give their recommenders this letter when making their requests.
c. Applicants who receive UNC-CH’s endorsement will need a total of four letters to apply for the Mitchell Scholarship.
Two recent passport-sized color photographs of the applicant should be included as application materials. The applicant’s name should be clearly printed in black ink on the back of each photograph. Please contact ODS if you require assistance.
3. University Transcripts
Submit an official and current transcript for each college or university attended.
a. Official UNC-CH transcripts for applicants can be delivered to ODS directly from the UNC-CH Office of the University Registrar. Please place your order at least two weeks in advance of the endorsement deadline, and click here to learn about transcript fee waivers.
b. Applicants may submit an officially sealed transcript for each college or university attended directly to ODS when they submit their application for endorsement.
UNC-CH Endorsement Interviews and Endorsement
- Endorsement Interviews: Based on the application for endorsement, competitive applicants will be invited to interview with the UNC-CH Mitchell Scholarship Selection Committee. Applicants unavailable for on-campus interviews must contact ODS one month prior to discuss other available interview options.
- Application Revisions: Applicants endorsed by the UNC-CH Mitchell Scholarship Selection Committee will have approximately two weeks to make revisions with assistance from ODS and to update their application materials.
- Final Submission: Endorsed applicants must submit their final application materials online and will provide a copy to ODS of their final application materials.
Finalist and Selection Process
- Applicant Interviews: All applicants endorsed by their institutions must submit a video interview online 48 hours after the Mitchell Scholarship final deadline.
- Semi-Finalist Interviews: Applicants will be interviewed the last week October via Skype.
- Finalist Interviews: Finalists are invited to interview during Finalist Weekend in late November.
- Selection Announcement: Finalists are notified soon after their finalist interviews if they have been selected as a Mitchell Scholar.
ODS Contact Information
Please contact ODS here for questions and to schedule an appointment.
2014-2015 Deadlines and Dates
UNC-CH Endorsement Application Deadline
Tuesday, August 5, 2014 at 5PM ET
UNC-CH Endorsement Interviews
Late August 2014
Mitchell Scholarship Final Deadline
Early October 2014 at 5PM ET
Applicant Interview Deadline
Early October 2014 at 5PM ET
Late October 2014
Notification of Finalist Status
Friday and Saturday, November 21 and 22, 2014
Sunday, November 23, 2014