SUMMARY OF APPLICATION MATERIALS
Applicants must submit the items below to ODS before the UNC Endorsement Application Deadline in January.
All application materials – except for transcripts, photo, and letters of recommendation – should be incorporated into one PDF. Click here to submit materials.
Applying For UNC Endorsement
The deadline to apply for UNC’s endorsement for the 2017 Reinecke Scholarship is January 2017. Students should notify ODS (email@example.com) as soon as possible of their intent to apply.
Applicants must complete an online application and provide the following materials:
Beinecke Scholarships Endorsement Application Form
The application form can be downloaded here. It includes:
- Financial Aid Form: The Beinecke Scholarship Financial Aid Form may be found here. This form may be typed and/or clearly handwritten in black ink.
- Resume (2 Page Limit): Provide a resume listing collegiate awards and honors, extracurricular activities, community service, and employment experience. Email ODS if you would like to view sample documents or receive feedback on your resume. (Sample documents cannot be sent via email).
- Personal Statement (1,000 Word Limit): The personal statement is one of the most important components of your application. Describe your background, interests, plans for graduate study, and career aspirations. The personal statement should include discussion of experiences and ideas that have shaped your interests, plans, and aspirations.
- Relevant Materials: You may include any other material considered directly relevant to your application.
Provide a recent, high-resolution headshot or passport-style photograph (.jpg or .jpeg file). Label the file so your full name is included as part of the file name.
Letters of Recommendation
Three recommendation letters should be submitted with your endorsement application.
- Please read this letter of guidance and share it with individuals you ask to write a letter of recommendation. Contact ODS if you need advice on choosing and contacting a recommender.
- It is helpful to provide context by sharing these endorsement application requirements, your resume, and your specific academic and professional interests and goals.
- Letters should be from faculty members who can assess your intellectual curiosity, character and potential for advanced graduate study.
- Be mindful of the time it takes recommenders to write strong, effective letters. Do not ask for more letters than you will need. Stay in contact with your recommenders through relevant deadlines so that both you and your recommenders can respond accordingly.
- Include with your application a list of the names and email addresses of your recommenders.
Recommendation letters should be dated, addressed to “The Beinecke Scholarship Selection Committee” and submitted directly to ODS before the Endorsement Application Deadline by clicking here. Applicants should provide this link (along with your PID) to recommenders for submitting letter. Recommenders may format their letters as PDF documents and should include the award name (“Beinecke”) and the applicant’s last name in the file name. Applicants should not be given access to their letters of recommendation.
Note: Applicants who receive UNC’s endorsement will need a total of three letters of recommendation. Recommenders will receive additional instructions if they need to resubmit their forms and letters.
Submit an unofficial cumulative transcript for each college or university attended. This transcript should reflect the final grades for the most recent term applicable. If you receive endorsement, you must order and submit to ODS an official and sealed paper transcript(s). (Click here to for help producing a PDF of your unofficial transcript. The PDF should include your full name in the file name).
- As an alternative, applicants may bring to ODS before the endorsement application deadline an officially sealed paper transcript for each college or university attended.
- If you have already submitted an unofficial or official transcript(s) to ODS for another endorsement and the transcript(s) is still current, you do not need to submit another transcript(s) during the endorsement application stage. Instead, provide a typed note with your PID, name, the number of transcripts that should be included with your endorsement application, and the date when you submitted the transcript(s) to ODS.
After reviewing the applications for endorsement, the UNC Beinecke Scholarship Selection Committee will select one competitive applicant for endorsement by late January.
IF YOU RECEIVE UNC ENDORSEMENT
Applicants endorsed by the UNC Beinecke Scholarships Selection Committee will have approximately three weeks to make revisions and update their application materials with assistance from the Selection Committee Chair and ODS.
Submitting The Final Application
Endorsed applicants must submit their final application materials to ODS for submission to the Beinecke Scholarship at least three business days before the final receipt deadline in late February.
Applicants will be notified in April if they have been selected as a Beinecke Scholar.