SUMMARY OF APPLICATION MATERIALS
Applicants must submit the items below to ODS before the UNC Endorsement Application Deadline.
All application materials – except for transcripts, photo, and letters of recommendation – should be incorporated into one PDF. Click here to submit materials.
Applying For UNC Endorsement
The deadline to apply for UNC’s endorsement for the Carnegie Junior Fellows Program is November 2016. Students should notify ODS as soon as possible of their intent to apply.
Applicants must complete an online application and provide the following materials:
Carnegie Junior Fellows Endorsement Application
The Carnegie Junior Fellows Program application packet can be requested from ODS in October. It is not posted online. The application includes:
- One-Page Application Form
- Resume (Not to exceed two pages.)
- Essay #1 (One page. Double spaced): Explain why you would like to become a Carnegie Junior Fellow.
- Essay #2 (Up to 3 pages. Double spaced): This essay should be a thought piece and not a research paper. It is intended to test skills in analysis, logic, and written expression. Applicants should write in direct response to one of the topics listed in the application form. The topics may change each year and are not necessarily indicative of the issues that Junior Fellows will research at the Carnegie Endowment. Note: The Carnegie Endowment may ultimately select an applicant for a program outside of his or her designated primary interest, or may make an assignment to more than one program.
Provide a recent, high-resolution headshot or passport-style photograph (.jpg or .jpeg file). Label the file so your full name is included as part of the file name.
Submit an unofficial cumulative transcript for each college or university attended. This transcript should reflect the final grades for the most recent term applicable. (Click here to for help producing a PDF of your unofficial transcript. The PDF should include your full name in the file name.) If you receive endorsement and you applied for endorsement before the end of the fall semester, you must submit to ODS an unofficial transcript with your final fall semester grades.
- As an alternative, applicants may bring to ODS before the endorsement application deadline an officially sealed paper transcript for each college or university attended.
- If you have already submitted an unofficial or official transcript(s) to ODS for another endorsement and the transcript(s) is still current, you do not need to submit another transcript(s) during the endorsement application stage. Instead, provide a typed note with your PID, name, the number of transcripts that should be included with your endorsement application, and the date when you submitted the transcript(s) to ODS.
Letters of Recommendation
Two recommendation letters should be submitted with your endorsement application.
- Please read this letter of guidance and share it with individuals you ask to write a letter of recommendation. Applicants should request a professor in his or her major department to provide a recommendation letter. Contact ODS if you need advice on choosing and contacting a recommender.
- It is helpful to provide context by sharing these endorsement application requirements, your resume, and your specific academic and professional interests and goals.
- Be mindful of the time it takes recommenders to write strong, effective letters. Do not ask for more letters than you will need. Stay in contact with your recommenders through relevant deadlines so that both you and your recommenders can respond accordingly.
- Your letters should be from someone who can speak in detail about your specific interests, background, qualifications, and experience; and, if relevant, your scholarly work and potential. This may include supervisors and professors. It is preferable to choose a professor instead of a teaching assistant.
- Include a list of the names and email addresses of your recommenders in your endorsement application.
Recommendation letters should be dated, addressed to “The Carnegie Junior Fellows Program Selection Committee” and do not need to include a physical address for ODS or the award organization.
Letters should be submitted directly to ODS before the Endorsement Application Deadline by clicking here. Applicants should provide this link (along with your PID) to recommenders for submitting their letter. Recommenders may format their letters as PDF documents and should include the award name (“Carnegie”) and the applicant’s last name in the file name. Applicants should not be given access to their letters of recommendation.
Note: Applicants who receive UNC’s endorsement can use these same recommendation letters to apply for the Carnegie Junior Fellows Program.
After reviewing the applications for endorsement, the UNC Carnegie Junior Fellows Selection Committee will select up to two competitive applicants in December.
IF YOU RECEIVE UNC ENDORSEMENT
Applicants endorsed by the UNC Carnegie Junior Fellows Selection Committee will have approximately four weeks to make revisions and update their application materials based on feedback from ODS and the Selection Committee Chair.
Submitting The Final Application
Endorsed applicants must submit their final application materials to ODS for submission to the Carnegie Endowment before the final deadline in mid-January.
Endorsed applicants will be notified in February if they have been selected by the Carnegie Endowment as a Finalist.
Finalists are invited to interview in February through early March with the Carnegie Endowment.
Finalists are notified by late March if they have been selected as a Carnegie Junior Fellow.