SUMMARY OF APPLICATION MATERIALS
Applicants must submit the items below to ODS before the UNC Endorsement Application Deadline in November. The Goldwater application can be submitted directly to ODS. Other materials (transcripts and photograph) can be uploaded to ODS’s separate application. Click here to submit materials.
Applying for UNC Endorsement
The deadline to apply for UNC’s endorsement for the Goldwater Scholarship is November 8, 2017; students must first be nominated by October 4, 2017. Students should notify ODS as soon as possible of their intent to apply. Before applying, students must complete a pre-application to be approved by ODS.
Applicants must complete an online application and provide the following materials:
Goldwater Scholarships Endorsement Application Form
The online application for use in the endorsement application can be accessed here. Complete the full application and upload your essay. When you are ready to apply to ODS for endorsement, press “Lock & Submit” on the Goldwater application. This does not submit your application to the Goldwater, but rather allows ODS to review your application.
The online application includes basic information, short-answer questions, and uploads of the following:
- Essay (3 Page Limit): The essay should discuss “a significant issue or problem in your field of study that is of particular interest to you.” The essay must include “a description of the issue or problem, describe an aspect of the research in which you would be involved, and explain the relevance of the issue or problem to you as a mathematician, scientist, or engineer.” See the Steps in the Nomination Process for additional instructions.
- Note: The essay must be based on prior/proposed research and must be single -spaced and in 12 pt Arial font, have 1-inch margins and be in PDF format.
- Permanent Resident Documentation: Applicants who have a citizenship status of Permanent Resident must include a copy of their permanent resident card and a letter of intent to become a U.S. citizen.
Provide a recent, high-resolution headshot or passport-style photograph (.jpg or .jpeg file). Label the file so your full name is included as part of the file name.
Letters of Recommendation
Three recommendation letters should be submitted to ODS with your endorsement application. Letters should be submitted directly to ODS before the Endorsement Application Deadline by clicking here.
- Please read this letter of guidance and share it with individuals you ask to write a letter of recommendation. Contact ODS if you need advice on choosing and contacting a recommender.
- It is helpful to provide context by sharing these endorsement application requirements, your resume, and your specific academic and professional interests and goals.
- Letters should be from people who can speak in detail about your scholarly work and potential; and, if relevant, your specific interests, background, qualifications, and experience. This may include supervisors and professors. It is preferable to choose a professor instead of a teaching assistant.
- For the Goldwater, faculty mentors who know your research well will be your most important references. You can also seek recommendations from faculty or post-docs who have interacted with or observed your research. Letters from faculty who know your work in science, math, or engineering classes and who can comment on your research aspirations are also appropriate. Please see the Steps in the Nomination Process for additional guidance in choosing recommenders.
- Be mindful of the time it takes recommenders to write strong, effective letters. Do not ask for more letters than you will need. Stay in contact with your recommenders through relevant deadlines so that both you and your recommenders can respond accordingly.
Recommendation letters should be dated, addressed to “The Goldwater Scholarship Selection Committee” and do not need to include a physical address for ODS or the award organization. Applicants should provide this link (along with your PID) to recommenders for submitting their letter. Recommenders may format their letters as PDF documents. Applicants should not be given access to their letters of recommendation.
Note: Applicants who receive UNC’s endorsement will need a total of three letters of recommendation. Recommenders will receive additional instructions if they need to resubmit their letters.
Secondary School Transcripts
Submit an unofficial or official transcript for each secondary school attended.
- Each applicant should submit a clear unofficial transcript for each secondary school attended directly to ODS when they submit their application for endorsement.
- As an alternative, applicants may submit an officially sealed transcript for each secondary school attended directly to ODS before the endorsement application deadline.
- If needed, applicants should request an official transcript from his or her high school. This transcript may be sent directly to ODS. Home-school documentation in lieu of a secondary school transcript is acceptable when applicable.
Submit an unofficial cumulative transcript for each college or university attended. This transcript should reflect the final grades for the most recent term applicable. If you receive endorsement, you must order and submit to ODS an official and sealed paper transcript(s). (Click here to for help producing a PDF of your unofficial transcript. The PDF should include your full name in the file name.)
- As an alternative, applicants may bring to ODS before the endorsement application deadline an officially sealed paper transcript for each college or university attended.
- If you have already submitted an unofficial or official transcript(s) to ODS for another endorsement and the transcript(s) is still current, you do not need to submit another transcript(s) during the endorsement application stage. Instead, provide a typed note with your PID, name, the number of transcripts that should be included with your endorsement application, and the date when you submitted the transcript(s) to ODS.
After reviewing the applications for endorsement, the UNC Goldwater Scholarship Selection Committee will select competitive applicants for endorsement by December.
IF YOU RECEIVE UNC ENDORSEMENT
Applicants endorsed by the UNC Goldwater Scholarship Selection Committee will have approximately five weeks to make revisions and update application materials with assistance from the Selection Committee Chair and ODS.
Submitting The Final Application
Endorsed applicants must submit their final application materials online to the Goldwater Foundation before the final deadline in late January. Recommenders must submit their final letters online via a prompt that will be sent when endorsed applicants add recommender email addresses to their online application. ODS will mail relevant application materials to the Goldwater Foundation and approve online applications once they have been submitted.
Finalists are notified by late March if they have been selected as a Goldwater Scholar or an Honorable Mention.