SUMMARY OF APPLICATION MATERIALS
Applicants must submit the items below to ODS before the UNC Endorsement Application Deadline in early September.
All application materials – except for transcripts, photo, and letters of recommendation – should be incorporated into one PDF. You may access the submission form here.
Applying for UNC Endorsement
The deadline to apply for UNC’s endorsement for the Knight-Hennessy Scholarships is September 1, 2017. Applicants should notify ODS as soon as possible of their intent to apply.
Applicants must complete an online application and provide the following materials:
Knight-Hennessy Scholarships Endorsement Application Form
You should not submit the online Knight-Hennessy application during the endorsement application stage. Instead, all applicants for endorsement must complete and submit complete all required sections of the online Knight-Hennessy application – except the recommendation section. You must answer each question to complete the endorsement application. This form should be saved and submitted as a PDF file before the September endorsement application deadline. Be sure that all your answers are fully visible, and include a separate double-spaced copy of the personal statement along with your completed application.
The endorsement application form includes two essays and two short-answer prompts. You may receive feedback on your statement and essays but you may not incorporate the revised prose into a Rhodes Scholarships or a Mitchell Scholarship personal statement.
- Two Personal Essays: Respond separately to the following prompts: “Connect the dots. Tell us how the influences in your life have shaped you.” and “Describe three different paths for your career and life. To prepare for them, what do you need to learn at Stanford as a Knight-Hennessy Scholar?”
- Two Short-Answer Responses: Respond separately to the following prompts: “Please tell us eight improbable facts about you.” and “If you could take any course or study with any instructor at Stanford, what would you take or with whom would you study, and why? “
- List of Recommenders: With your endorsement application, provide a list of your recommenders that includes each person’s title (e.g. Mr./Ms./Mrs./Dr./Professor), full name, position, affiliation (name of their institution, employer, etc.), and email address.
Provide a recent, high-resolution headshot or passport-sty photograph (.jpg or .jpeg file). Label the file so your full name is included as part of the file name.
Resume / CV / List of Principal Activities
Provide a resume, CV or list of principal college activities (not to exceed two pages), including in prizes, scholarships, honors, offices held, community service, athletic accomplishments, and extracurricular activities.
Letters of Recommendation
One recommendation letter should be submitted with your endorsement application.
- Please read this letter of guidance and share it with individuals you ask to write a letter of recommendation. Contact ODS if you need advice on choosing and contacting a recommender.
- It is helpful to provide context by sharing these endorsement application requirements, your resume, CV, or list of principal activities, and your specific academic and professional interests and goals.
- Two of your recommendation letters should be from professors with whom you have done academic work. (It is preferable to choose a professor instead of a teaching assistant.)
- Two recommendation letters may be character references. Choose someone who knows you well and can give specific comments on your character and potential for success outside of your scholarly work and interests.
Recommendation letters should be addressed to “The Knight-Hennessy Scholars Selection Committee” and be submitted directly to ODS before the Endorsement Application Deadline by clicking here. Applicants should provide this link to recommenders for submitting letter. Recommenders may format their letters as PDF documents. Applicants should not be given access to their letters of recommendation.
Note: Applicants who receive UNC’s endorsement will need to collect up to one additional recommendation letter (for a total of four letters) to apply for the Mitchell Scholarship.
Submit a cumulative transcript for each college or university attended. This transcript should reflect the final grades for the most recent term applicable. Applicants may submit an unofficial or an official transcript at the endorsement application stage. If you receive endorsement, you must order an official and sealed paper transcript(s).
- Official UNC transcripts for applicants can be delivered to ODS directly from the UNC Office of the University Registrar. Place your order at least two weeks in advance of the endorsement deadline. Click here to learn about transcript fee waivers and other FAQs.
- As an alternative, applicants may bring to ODS before the endorsement application deadline an officially sealed paper transcript for each college or university attended.
After reviewing the applications for endorsement, the UNC Knight-Hennessy Selection Committee will invite competitive applicants to participate in an on-campus interview. Applicants who are unavailable for on-campus interviews must contact ODS prior to the endorsement application deadline to discuss other available interview options.
IF YOU RECEIVE UNC ENDORSEMENT
Applicants endorsed by the UNC Knight-Hennessy Selection Committee will be notified soon after their interviews. Endorsed applicants will have approximately four weeks to incorporate permissible feedback from ODS and the selection committee to revise and update their application materials.
Submitting The Final Application
- The Knight-Hennessy application is online and may request information that differs from your endorsement application.
- All application materials must be submitted online to the Knight-Hennessy Scholarships before the final deadline. The applicant is responsible for submitting all materials online except the letters of recommendation.
- Letters of recommendations must be submitted online by the recommender before the Knight-Hennesy deadline. Those who encounter difficulties should contact ODS.
- Endorsed applicants should provide a copy of the final application materials to ODS.
Graduate Program Application
Knight-Hennessy applicants must apply separately to their chosen graduate degree program. Thoroughly check the program’s individual deadlines and requirements.
Finalists are notified directly in early mid-December of invitations to interview during Immersion Weekend.
Finalist Immersion Weekend
Immersion Weekend will be held in late January. This will give you the opportunity to learn more about your home department and about Stanford more generally, and also will allow us to get to know you better.
Knight-Hennessy will announce their chosen class of scholars in mid-February.