SUMMARY OF APPLICATION MATERIALS
Applicants must submit the items below to ODS before the UNC Endorsement Application Deadline in September.
All application materials – except for transcripts, photo, and letters of recommendation – should be incorporated into one PDF. You may submit endorsement materials through this link.
Applying for UNC Endorsement
The deadline to apply for UNC’s endorsement for 2018 Luce Scholars Program is September 21, 2017. Students should notify ODS as soon as possible of their intent to apply.
Applicants must submit their application online and provide the following materials:
Basic Luce Scholars Program Application
Click here to download the Luce application. This completed form should be the first portion of your endorsement application. This form should be saved and submitted as a PDF file before the September endorsement application deadline (include your full name in the file name). Be sure that all your answers are fully visible. Applicants who receive endorsement will then receive instructions regarding the final Luce application.
- Personal Statement (1,000 Word / 2 Page Limit):
The personal statement/essay is your opportunity to share your personality, interests, experiences, and goals with the selection committee. It should briefly explain your long-range career interests, understanding of leadership, and reasons for applying to the Luce Scholars Program. Email ODS if you would like to receive feedback or view sample personal statements. (Sample statements cannot be sent via email.)
- Additional Information: The Luce application firm will contain additional required questions regarding your academic achievements and awards, leadership activities, work experience, and community service.
Resume / CV / List of Principal Activities
Provide a resume, CV or list of principal college activities (not to exceed three pages), including in prizes, scholarships, honors, offices held, community service, athletic accomplishments, and extracurricular activities. This does not replace any portion of the Luce application form. Email ODS if you would like to view sample documents or receive feedback on your list. (Sample documents cannot be sent via email.)
List of Recommenders
With your endorsement application, provide a list of your recommenders that includes each person’s title (e.g. Mr./Ms./Mrs./Dr./Professor), full name, position, affiliation (name of their institution, employer, etc.), and email address.
Provide a recent, high-resolution headshot or passport-style photograph (.jpg or .jpeg file). Label the file so your full name is included as part of the file name. Applicants who are endorsed must submit two hard copies of a recent passport-sized color photograph with your name clearly printed in black ink on the back of each photograph.
Submit an unofficial transcript for each college or university attended. This transcript should reflect the final grades for the most recent term applicable. (Click here to for help producing a PDF of your unofficial transcript. The PDF should include your full name in the file name.) If you receive endorsement, you must order an official and sealed paper transcript(s).
- As an alternative, applicants may bring to ODS before the endorsement application deadline an officially sealed paper transcript for each college or university attended.
- If you have already submitted an unofficial or official transcript(s) to ODS for another endorsement and the transcript(s) is still current, you do not need to submit another transcript(s) during the endorsement application stage. Instead, provide a typed note with your PID, name, the number of transcripts that should be included with your endorsement application, and the date when you submitted the transcript(s) to ODS.
Letters of Recommendation
Three to four recommendation letters should be submitted with your endorsement application.
- Please read this letter of guidance and share it with individuals you ask to write a letter of recommendation. Contact ODS if you need advice on choosing and contacting a recommender.
- It is helpful to provide context by sharing these endorsement application requirements, your resume, CV, or list of principal activities, and your specific academic and professional interests and goals.
- Be mindful of the time it takes recommenders to write strong, effective letters. Do not ask for more letters than you will need. Stay in contact with your recommenders through relevant deadlines so that both you and your recommenders can respond accordingly.
- If you are a current UNC student, two recommendation letters from UNC faculty or staff are ideal. Letters should come from individuals who can speak in detail about your specific interests, background, qualifications, experience, and, if relevant, your scholarly work and potential. It is especially helpful if these recommenders can speak to your progress within your field. Recommendation letters may come from supervisors, mentors, and professors (It is preferable to choose a professor instead of a teaching assistant if both individuals know you well.
- If you have already earned your UNC degree, one letter from a UNC faculty or staff member is sufficient.
Recommendation letters should be addressed to “The Luce Scholars Program Selection Committee” and do not need to include a physical address for ODS or the award organization. Letters should be submitted directly to ODS before the Endorsement Application Deadline by clicking here. Applicants should provide this link (along with your PID) to recommenders for submitting their letter. Recommenders may format their letters as PDF documents and should include the award name (“Luce”) and the applicant’s last name in the file name. Applicants should not be given access to their letters of recommendation.
Note: Applicants who receive UNC’s endorsement will need to collect up to one additional recommendation letter (for a total of four letters) to apply for the Luce Scholarship.
After reviewing the applications for endorsement, the UNC Luce Scholars Program Selection Committee will invite competitive applicants to participate in an on-campus interview. Applicants who are unavailable for on-campus interviews must contact ODS at least one month prior to discuss other available interview options.
IF YOU RECEIVE UNC ENDORSEMENT
Applicants endorsed by the UNC Luce Scholars Program Selection Committee will have approximately three weeks to make revisions and update their application materials based on feedback from ODS and the UNC Luce Scholars Program Selection Committee.
Endorsed applicants must provide a printed copy of their final application materials to ODS for submission to the Luce Scholars Program.
Applicants endorsed by UNC will be interviewed in-person or remotely during November and December.
The Luce Scholars Program will select and notify approximately 45 Finalists in January.
Finalists will be invited to interview with an independent selection committee in early February.
Finalists will be notified in February/March if they have been selected as a Luce Scholar.