SUMMARY OF APPLICATION MATERIALS
Applicants must submit the items below to ODS before the UNC Endorsement Application Deadline in early August.
All application materials – except for transcripts, photo, and letters of recommendation – should be incorporated into one PDF. The submission link will be posted here.
Applying for UNC Endorsement
The deadline to apply for UNC’s endorsement for the Mitchell Scholarships is August 2, 2016. Applicants should notify ODS as soon as possible of their intent to apply.
Applicants must complete an online application and provide the following materials:
Mitchell Scholarships Endorsement Application Form
You should not submit the online Mitchell application during the endorsement application stage. Instead, all applicants for endorsement must complete and submit complete all required sections of the online Mitchell application – except the recommendation section. You must answer each question to complete the endorsement application. This form should be saved and submitted as a PDF file before the August endorsement application deadline. Be sure that all your answers are fully visible. Applicants who receive endorsement will then receive instructions regarding the online Mitchell application.
The endorsement application form includes a personal statement (1,000 words max) and four essays (500 word max). These essays ask about your proposed academic program, ambassadorial potential, leadership, and your post-Marshall Scholarship plans. You may receive feedback on your statement and essays but you may not incorporate the revised prose into a Rhodes Scholarships or a Mitchell Scholarship personal statement. Email ODS if you would like to receive feedback or view sample personal statements. (Sample statements cannot be sent via email.)
- Personal Statement (1,000 Word Limit): The personal statement/essay is your opportunity to share your personality, interests, experiences, and goals with the selection committee. It should briefly convey why you want to be a Mitchell Scholar and how you will advance your personal objectives through study on the island of Ireland. It should not simply restate your list of activities. Please advise those providing recommendations for you that they may not give any suggestions regarding personal statements.
- Please review the required attestation clause before drafting your personal statement.
- Attestation clause: The Mitchell personal statement attestation clause can be found online and on page seven in the 2015 sample Mitchell Scholarship application. The clause reads as follows:
“I attest that this essay is my own work and is wholly truthful. Neither it nor any earlier draft has been edited by anyone other than me, nor has anyone else reviewed it to provide me with suggestions to improve it. I understand that any such editing or review would disqualify my application.”
- Contact Professor Mary Floyd-Wilson about the personal statement writing process if you are applying for both the Marshall and the Mitchell Scholarships.
- Additional Information: The ODS Mitchell endorsement application form will contain additional required questions regarding your academic achievements and awards, leadership activities, and community service. Click here to view a sample Mitchell Scholarship application.
- List of Recommenders: With your endorsement application, provide a list of your recommenders that includes each person’s title (e.g. Mr./Ms./Mrs./Dr./Professor), full name, position, affiliation (name of their institution, employer, etc.), and email address.
Provide a recent, high-resolution headshot or passport-sty photograph (.jpg or .jpeg file). Label the file so your full name is included as part of the file name.
Resume / CV / List of Principal Activities
Provide a resume, CV or list of principal college activities (not to exceed three pages), including in prizes, scholarships, honors, offices held, community service, athletic accomplishments, and extracurricular activities. This does not replace any portion of the Mitchell endorsement application form. Email ODS if you would like to view sample documents or receive feedback on your list. (Sample documents cannot be sent via email.)
Letters of Recommendation
Three to four recommendation letters should be submitted with your endorsement application.
- Recommendation letter must not exceed 750 words. Please read this letter of guidance and share it with individuals you ask to write a letter of recommendation. Contact ODS if you need advice on choosing and contacting a recommender.
- It is helpful to provide context by sharing these endorsement application requirements, your resume, CV, or list of principal activities, and your specific academic and professional interests and goals.
- Two of your recommendation letters should be from professors with whom you have done academic work. (It is preferable to choose a professor instead of a teaching assistant.)
- Two recommendation letters may be character references. Choose someone who knows you well and can give specific comments on your character and potential for success outside of your scholarly work and interests.
Recommendation letters should be addressed to “The Mitchell Scholarships Selection Committee” and be submitted directly to ODS before the Endorsement Application Deadline by clicking here. Applicants should provide this link to recommenders for submitting letter. Recommenders may format their letters as PDF documents. Applicants should not be given access to their letters of recommendation.
Note: Applicants who receive UNC’s endorsement will need to collect up to one additional recommendation letter (for a total of four letters) to apply for the Mitchell Scholarship.
Submit a cumulative transcript for each college or university attended. This transcript should reflect the final grades for the most recent term applicable. Applicants may submit an unofficial or an official transcript at the endorsement application stage. If you receive endorsement, you must order an official and sealed paper transcript(s).
- Official UNC transcripts for applicants can be delivered to ODS directly from the UNC Office of the University Registrar. Place your order at least two weeks in advance of the endorsement deadline. Click here to learn about transcript fee waivers and other FAQs.
- As an alternative, applicants may bring to ODS before the endorsement application deadline an officially sealed paper transcript for each college or university attended.
After reviewing the applications for endorsement, the UNC Mitchell Scholarships Selection Committee will invite competitive applicants to participate in an on-campus interview. Applicants who are unavailable for on-campus interviews must contact ODS prior to the endorsement application deadline to discuss other available interview options.
IF YOU RECEIVE UNC ENDORSEMENT
Applicants endorsed by the UNC Mitchell Scholarships Selection Committee will be notified soon after their interviews. Endorsed applicants will have approximately five weeks to incorporate permissible feedback from ODS and the selection committee to revise and update their application materials.
Submitting The Final Application
- The Mitchell Scholarships application is online and may request information that differs from your endorsement application:
- All application materials must be submitted online to the Mitchell Scholarships before the final deadline. The applicant is responsible for submitting all materials online except the letters of recommendation. Transcripts, a photograph and your signature must be upload as PDF documents.
- Letters of recommendations must be submitted online by the recommender before the Mitchell Scholarships deadline. Those who encounter difficulties should contact ODS.
- Endorsed applicants should provide a copy of the final application materials to ODS.
All applicants must submit an online video interview approximately 48 hours after the Mitchell Scholarship’s final deadline.
Semi-Finalist Skype Interviews
Applicants are notified directly in October of invitations to interview via Skype. Interviews are held the final week of October.
Semi-Finalists are notified directly in early November of invitations to interview during Finalist Weekend. If you receive invitations to interview for both the Mitchell and Rhodes Scholarships, you may only accept one of the invitations. ODS will organize practice interviews prior to the finalist interviews.
Finalist Reception and Interviews
Finalist Weekend is held in Washington, DC and includes a reception and individual interviews with the Mitchell Scholarship’s selection committee. Finalist Weekend is typically held the Friday and Saturday before Thanksgiving.
Finalists will be notified soon after their finalist Interviews if they have been selected as a Mitchell Scholar.