SUMMARY OF APPLICATION MATERIALS
Applicants must submit the items below to ODS before the UNC Endorsement Application Deadline in October.
All application materials – except for transcripts, photo, and letters of recommendation – should be incorporated into one PDF. Click here to submit materials.
Applying For UNC Endorsement
The deadline to apply for UNC’s endorsement for 2017 Truman Scholarship is early November 2016. Applicants should notify ODS as soon as possible of their intent to apply.
Applicants must complete an online application and provide the following materials:
Truman Scholarship Endorsement Application
Do not submit the online Truman application during the endorsement application process. All applicants must download and complete the ODS Truman Scholarship application form. The form should be typed. All answers must be visible and all fields must be answered for the endorsement application to be considered complete.
The application includes several sections. Among the most notable:
- Policy Proposal (500 Word Limit): This proposal relates to Question 9 in the endorsement application. It should demonstrate the applicant’s understanding of a societal problem, ability to identify an attainable solution, and consideration of relevant obstacles and challenges in implementing the identified solution.
- List of Recommenders: At the end of the application, include a list of recommenders including each person’s title (e.g. Mr./Ms./Mrs./Dr./Professor), full name, position, affiliation (name of their institution, employer, etc.), and email address.
Applicants who receive endorsement will then receive instructions regarding the online Truman application.
Provide a recent, high-resolution headshot or passport-sty photograph (.jpg or .jpeg file). Label the file so your full name is included as part of the file name.
Submit an unofficial cumulative transcript for each college or university attended. This transcript should reflect the final grades for the most recent term applicable. If you receive endorsement, you must order and submit to ODS an official and sealed paper transcript(s). (Click here to for help producing a PDF of your unofficial transcript. The PDF should include your full name in the file name.)
- As an alternative, applicants may bring to ODS before the endorsement application deadline an officially sealed paper transcript for each college or university attended.
- If you have already submitted an unofficial or official transcript(s) to ODS for another endorsement and the transcript(s) is still current, you do not need to submit another transcript(s) during the endorsement application stage. Instead, provide a typed note with your PID, name, the number of transcripts that should be included with your endorsement application, and the date when you submitted the transcript(s) to ODS.
Letters of Recommendation
Three recommendation letters should be submitted with your endorsement application, one for each of the core values of the Truman Scholarship: Leadership, Public Service, and Academics. Each recommendation should include a completed recommendation form, found in the last three pages of the endorsement application and also located here: Leadership, Public Service, and Academics.
- Please read this letter of guidance and share it with individuals you ask to write a letter of recommendation. Contact ODS if you need advice on choosing and contacting a recommender.
- It is helpful to provide context by sharing these endorsement application requirements, your resume, and your specific academic and professional interests and goals.
- Letters should be from someone who can speak in detail about your specific interests, background, qualifications, and experience; and, if relevant, your scholarly work and potential. This may include supervisors and professors. It is preferable to choose a professor instead of a teaching assistant.
- Be mindful of the time it takes recommenders to write strong, effective letters. Do not ask for more letters than you will need. Stay in contact with your recommenders through relevant deadlines so that both you and your recommenders can respond accordingly.
Recommendation letters should be dated, addressed to “The Truman Scholarship Selection Committee” and do not need to include a physical address for ODS or the award organization.
Letters should be submitted directly to ODS before the Endorsement Application Deadline by clicking here. Applicants should provide this link (along with your PID) to recommenders for submitting their letter. Recommenders may format their letters as PDF documents and should include the award name (“Truman”) and the applicant’s last name in the file name. Applicants should not be given access to their letters of recommendation.
Note: Applicants who receive UNC’s endorsement will need a total of three letters for their application.
After reviewing the applications for endorsement, competitive applicants will be invited to interview with the UNC Truman Scholarship Selection Committee in November. Applicants unavailable for on-campus interviews must contact ODS one month prior to interviews to discuss other available interview options.
IF YOU RECEIVE UNC ENDORSEMENT
Applicants endorsed by the UNC Truman Scholarship Selection Committee will have approximately eight weeks to make revisions and update their application materials based on feedback from ODS and the Selection Committee Chair.
Submitting The Final Application
Endorsed applicants will be given access to the online application. The final application materials must be submitted online to the Truman Foundation before the final deadline in early February.
Endorsed applicants will be notified in late February if they have been selected by the Truman Foundation as a Finalist.
Finalists are invited to interview in late February through mid-April with a regional Truman Foundation committee.
Finalists are notified in mid- or late April if they have been selected as a Truman Scholar.