The Udall Scholarship is a merit award from the Udall Foundation that provides leadership, public service, internship, and networking opportunities, in addition to up to $7,000 for eligible academic expenses, to 60 second and third year students with leadership and public service who have demonstrated a commitment to issues related to American Indian nations or to the environment.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit to two groups of students:
- Those engaged in environmental issues through perspectives of (but not limited to) policy, engineering, science, education, urban planning and renewal, business, health, justice, and economics
- Those with American Indian or Alaska Natives backgrounds who engaged in tribal policy or Native health care
The Udall Scholarship honors the legacies of Morris Udall and Stewart Udall, whose careers had a significant impact on American Indian self-governance, health care, and the stewardship of public lands and natural resources.Application Details Apply Now
You must meet the following eligibility requirements to apply for the Udall Scholarship:
- Be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, or a U.S. resident.
- Be a second or third year student during the 2017-18 academic year and plan to complete full-time study during the 2018-19 academic year. There is no age limit.
- Be interested in environmental issues, or be American Indian or Alaska Native and interested in tribal public policy or Native health care.
- GPA: There is no GPA requirement.
- Receive UNC’s endorsement through the Office of Distinguished Scholarships.
Deadline for Email Nomination (Optional)
Thursday, November 9, 2017 (11:59 pm ET)
Deadline to Apply for UNC Endorsement
Wednesday, January 24, 2018 (5:00 pm ET)
Tips & Advice
Students interested in applying for the Udall Scholarship should:
- Review the ODS “Tips & Advice” document for general advice on applying for a distinguished scholarship.
- Attend an ODS information session to learn more about the application process.
- Contact ODS and Professor Amy Cooke before the end of the fall semester. Professor Cooke is the chair of the UNC Udall Scholarship Selection Committee.
- Read the Udall Scholarship’s outlines of who should apply, how to apply, application guidance and advice, and frequently asked questions.
- Register for access to the online application by completing this form and then emailing it to ODS.
- Applicants who would like feedback on their essay and resume are encouraged to submit drafts to ODS before the end of the fall semester.
Recent Udall Scholarship Recipients and Honorable Mentions
Joseph Locklear ’17 (Scholarship, 2014-15; Honorable Mention, 2015-16)
Chelsea Barnes ’15 (Honorable Mention, 2013-14)
Sangeetha Kumar ’15 (Honorable Mention, 2013-14)