SUMMARY OF APPLICATION MATERIALS
Applicants must submit the items below to ODS before the UNC Endorsement Application Deadline.
All application materials – except for transcripts, photo, and letters of recommendation – should be incorporated into one PDF. Click here to submit materials.
Applying for UNC Endorsement
The deadline to apply for UNC’s endorsement for Udall Scholarship is January 28, 2019. Students should notify ODS as soon as possible of their intent to apply.
Applicants must complete an online application and provide the following materials:
Udall Scholarships Endorsement Application Form
The Udall Scholarship is available online, and the application form does include more than the main essay. Students will first be registered by ODS to gain access to the online application. View a blank sample application here.
Do not submit the application online. This form should be saved and submitted as a PDF file before the endorsement application deadline. All answers must fit in the spaces provided.
- Essay (800 Word Limit): The essay should discuss a significant public speech, legislative act, book, or public policy statement by either Congressman Morris K. Udall or Secretary of Interior Stewart L. Udall and its impact on your field of study, interests, and career goals.
- List of Recommenders: Provide a list of recommenders, including includes each person’s title (e.g. Mr./Ms./Mrs./Dr./Professor), full name, position, affiliation (name of their institution, employer, etc.), and email address.
Resume / CV
This resume / CV should include a summary of your educational and work experience and skills. Relevant components may include community service, leadership activities, prizes, scholarships, honors, publications, extracurricular activities, offices held, and athletic accomplishments. This document should not exceed two pages, and does not replace any portion of the Udall application. Email ODS if you would like to receive feedback on your resume or CV or if you would like make an appointment to view sample documents.
Provide a recent, high-resolution headshot or passport-style photograph (.jpg or .jpeg file). Label the file so your full name is included as part of the file name.
Letters of Recommendation
Three recommendation letters should be submitted with your endorsement application, one for your leadership, public service, and academic achievements.
- Please read this letter of guidance and share it with individuals you ask to write a letter of recommendation. Contact ODS if you need advice on choosing and contacting a recommender.
- It is helpful to provide context by sharing these endorsement application requirements, your resume, and your specific academic and professional interests and goals.
- Letters should be from individuals who can speak in detail about your specific interests, background, qualifications, and experience; and, if relevant, your scholarly work and potential. This may include supervisors and professors. It is preferable to choose a professor instead of a teaching assistant.
- Be mindful of the time it takes recommenders to write strong, effective letters. Do not ask for more letters than you will need. Stay in contact with your recommenders through relevant deadlines so that both you and your recommenders can respond accordingly.
- Include with your application a list of the names and email addresses of your recommenders.
Recommendation letters should be dated, addressed to “The Udall Scholarship Selection Committee” and do not need to include a physical address for ODS or the award organization. Letters should be submitted directly to ODS before the Endorsement Application Deadline by clicking here. Applicants should provide this link (along with your PID) to recommenders for submitting their letter. Recommenders may format their letters as PDF documents and should include the award name (“Udall”) and the applicant’s last name in the file name. Applicants should not be given access to their letters of recommendation.
Note: Applicants who receive UNC’s endorsement will need a total of three letters of recommendation. Recommenders will receive additional instructions if they need to resubmit their letters.
Submit an unofficial cumulative transcript for each college or university attended. This transcript should reflect the final grades for the most recent term applicable. If you receive endorsement, you must order and submit to ODS an official and sealed paper transcript(s). (Click here to for help producing a PDF of your unofficial transcript. The PDF should include your full name in the file name.)
- As an alternative, applicants may bring to ODS before the endorsement application deadline an officially sealed paper transcript for each college or university attended.
- If you have already submitted an unofficial or official transcript(s) to ODS for another endorsement and the transcript(s) is still current, you do not need to submit another transcript(s) during the endorsement application stage. Instead, provide a typed note with your PID, name, the number of transcripts that should be included with your endorsement application, and the date when you submitted the transcript(s) to ODS.
After reviewing the applications for endorsement, the UNC Udall Scholarship Selection Committee will select up to eight competitive applicants for endorsement by early February.
IF YOU RECEIVE UNC ENDORSEMENT
Applicants endorsed by the UNC Udall Scholarship Selection Committee will have approximately four weeks to make revisions and update application materials with assistance from the Selection Committee Chair and ODS.
Submitting The Final Application
Endorsed applicants will submit their final application materials to ODS for submission to the Udall Foundation before the final deadline in early March.
Endorsed applicants will be notified in April if they have been selected by the Udall Scholarship as either a Finalist or Honorable Mention. Finalists will have approximately two weeks to accept their selection as a Udall Scholar.
The Udall Foundation will finalize the list of Udall Scholar recipients by early May.