The Yenching Academy of Peking University builds bridges between China and the rest of the world through an interdisciplinary master’s program in China Studies for outstanding graduates from all over the globe. The Yenching Academy is a fully funded residential program offering a wide array of interdisciplinary courses on China within broadly defined fields of the Humanities and Social Sciences. Working closely with their academic mentors, Yenching Scholars are granted the flexibility to create their own study paths by choosing from six academic concentrations and a variety of extracurricular activities.
Award: The Yenching Academy provides a generous postgraduate scholarship that covers tuition fees, a travel stipend for one round-trip journey between each Scholar’s base city and Beijing, accommodations, and living costs on Peking University’s campus. Enrolled international students spend 12 months in residence at the Yenching Academy. Coursework is completed during the fall and spring semesters, and it is supplemented by additional study during the summer. Upon completion of their year in residence, students have up to one more year to finalize projects and defend their thesis.
Criteria: Evaluation criteria include (1) academic merit, (2) leadership potential, (3) international experience, and (4) long-term aspirations.
Campus Application Deadline: Monday, October 29, 2018 (5:00 pm ET)
Final Scholarship Deadline: Mid-December 2018
Applicants should have:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field, awarded no later than August 31 of the year in which they wish to enroll
- An outstanding academic record
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary study of China
- A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement and social responsibility
- Leadership potential
- English proficiency
Preference is given to candidates age 25 or younger as of August 31 of the year they wish to enroll. For students from countries with mandatory military service, the age preference is 27 years old or younger.
How to apply for endorsement
- Personal information form
- Personal statement (750 words or less)
- Curriculum Vitae
- All relevant transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
UNC-Chapel Hill is a Partner University of the Yenching Academy, which means we can nominate a small number of qualified applicants for priority consideration each year. If the Campus Application Deadline has passed, you may still apply directly to the scholarship through their portal. To apply for UNC’s nomination, do not complete the online application. Follow the steps on the Details page.
Resources for applicants
- Review the ODS “Tips & Advice” document for advice on applying for a distinguished award
- Thoroughly read the following Yenching Academy rules and guidelines:
- ODS information sessions and prep-shops
- Schedule a meeting with the ODS director to discuss your application and receive advice to consider as you prepare for the endorsement deadline. Non-local applicants may schedule meetings via Skype or phone.