The Churchill Scholarship provides funding to American students for a year of Master’s study in science, mathematics, and engineering at the University of Cambridge, based at Churchill College. The Scholarship was set up at the request of Sir Winston Churchill in order to fulfill his vision of US-UK scientific exchange with the goal of advancing science and technology on both sides of the Atlantic, helping to ensure our future prosperity and security.
Award: Fifteen Churchill Scholarships are offered annually. The Scholarship is tenable from nine to twelve months, in accordance with the academic program. The Churchill Scholarship is worth around $60,000. It covers all University and College fees (currently about $40,000), a living allowance, an allowance of up to $1,500 for travel to and from the United Kingdom, as well as reimbursement of applications fees for a UK visa and health surcharge (currently over $500).
Criteria: The criteria for the selection of Churchill Scholars include (1) Outstanding academic achievement, especially in the major, as indicated by course grades; (2) Proven talent in research and a capacity to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the sciences, engineering, or mathematics; (3) Outstanding personal qualities, including talents and activities outside of academic pursuits
Applicants must be endorsed by the Office of Distinguished Scholarships in order to apply for the Churchill Scholarship, and only two applicants can be endorsed. Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to meet with the ODS director to learn more about the application process. You may also be interested in applying for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, which does not require UNC’s endorsement.
ODS internal deadline for endorsement: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 (5:00 pm ET)
Scholarship final deadline: Monday, November 2, 2020 (5:00 pm ET)
An applicant for the Churchill Scholarship must:
- be a citizen of the United States, either native born or naturalized
- be a senior who is enrolled in one of the institutions participating in the Scholarship Program or a student who has graduated from one of those institutions within the past 12 months
- hold a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent, and not have attained a doctorate, upon taking up the Churchill Scholarship
- have a competitive GPA, generally no less than 3.8
- concurrently apply to the University of Cambridge by mid-October 2019
How to apply for UNC endorsement
- Personal information form
- Online application form
- Proposed program of study essay – 1 page
- Personal statement – 2 pages
- All relevant transcripts
- 4 letters of recommendation
Resources for applicants
- Review the ODS “Tips & Advice” document for advice on applying for a distinguished award
- Thoroughly read the following Churchill rules and guidelines:
- ODS information sessions and prep-shops
- Contact Dr. Jason West, Chair of the UNC Churchill Scholarship Selection Committee, before the beginning the fall semester. Applicants will receive feedback to consider as they prepare for the endorsement deadline.
- Applicants who would like feedback on their personal statement are encouraged to submit drafts to ODS, preferably before the start of the fall semester.