The James C. Gaither Junior Fellows Program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace is designed to provide a substantive work experience for students who have a serious career interest in the area of international affairs. Approximately 12-14 students will be hired to work as employees at Carnegie in Washington, DC on a full-time basis for a period of one year. Gaither Junior Fellows provide research assistance to scholars working on Carnegie Endowment’s projects, including democracy, nuclear policy, energy and climate, Middle Eastern studies, Asian studies, Russian studies, and geoeconomics. They have the opportunity to conduct research; contribute to op-eds papers, reports, and books; edit documents; participate in meetings with high-level officials; contribute to congressional testimony; and organize briefings attended by scholars, activists, journalists, and government officials.
Award: The salary is approximately $39,500 for one year, subject to taxes. A generous benefits package is provided. Fellows are responsible for their own housing arrangements.
Criteria: Applications are judged on (1) the quality of the written essay, (2) related academic study and/or work experience, (3) grades, (4) recommendations, and (5) personal interviews.
ODS internal deadline for endorsement: Monday, November 16, 2020 (5:00 pm ET)
Scholarship final deadline: Friday, January 15, 2021.
- be graduating seniors or students who have graduated during the last academic year
- be eligible to work in the United States for a full twelve months (August 1 through July 31)
- have not started graduate studies
- have a competitive GPA, generally 3.6 or higher
How to apply for UNC endorsement
- Personal information form
- Application form
- Essay: Why you would like to become a junior fellow
- Essay: Prompt determined by the selected program
- All relevant transcripts
- 2 Letters of recommendation
Resources for applicants
- Review the ODS “Tips & Advice” document for general advice on applying for a distinguished scholarship
- Thoroughly read the following Junior Fellows rules and guidelines:
- ODS information sessions and prep-shops
- Schedule a meeting with the ODS director to discuss your application and receive advice to consider as you prepare for the endorsement deadline. Non-local applicants may schedule meetings via Skype or phone.
Recent Gaither Fellowship Recipients: Sandy Alkoutami ’18, Frances Reuland ’18