The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship is given to college sophomores and juniors who intend to pursue research careers in the natural sciences, mathematics and engineering. Approximately 450 students nationwide receive a Goldwater Scholarship each year.
Award: Scholarships of up to $7,500 a year are provided to help cover costs associated with tuition, mandatory fees, books, room and board. Sophomores receive support in both their junior and senior years. Juniors will receive support in their senior year.
Criteria: The characteristics the Foundation seeks in a Goldwater Scholar include (1) strong commitment to a research career in the natural sciences, mathematics and engineering; (2) effective display of intellectual intensity in the sciences, mathematics and engineering; and (3) potential for a significant future contribution to research in his/her chosen field.
Faculty nomination deadline: Friday, October 4, 2019 (11:59 pm ET)
ODS internal application deadline for endorsement: Friday, November 15, 2019 (5:00 pm ET)
Scholarship final deadline: Friday, January 31, 2020
To be eligible for nomination for a Goldwater Scholarship, a student must:
- Be a full-time matriculated sophomore or junior
- Intend to pursue a research career in a natural science, mathematics or engineering, as defined by the Goldwater Scholarship’s Conditions of Eligibility
- Have a competitive GPA of at least a 3.0, and usually 3.6 or higher
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident
- Be nominated by a faculty member, in an email sent to ODS during the current application year
How to apply for UNC endorsement
- Personal information form
- Goldwater pre-application
- Goldwater online application
- Research essay
- All relevant transcripts
- 3 letters of recommendation
Nomination by a UNC Faculty or Staff Member
Eligible students who are interested in pursuing a Goldwater Scholarship must be nominated by a UNC faculty or staff member before they can apply for endorsement. Students may reach out to a UNC faculty or staff member and ask to be nominated.
In order to nominate a student: a faculty or staff member must send a short e-mail to ODS (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, October 4 with the following information:
- The student’s name
- The student’s PID
- The student’s UNC email address
- The nominator’s name and email address
Resources for applicants
- Review the ODS “Tips & Advice” document for advice on applying for a distinguished scholarship
- Thoroughly read the following Goldwater rules and guidelines:
- ODS information sessions and prep-shops
- Contact ODS and Professor Justin Sawon, Chair of the UNC Goldwater Scholarship Selection Committee, with questions
- Schedule a meeting with the ODS director to discuss your application and receive advice to consider as you prepare for the endorsement deadline