2017 Frank Porter Graham Lecture
Christopher Laurent, VisionFund International
Christopher Laurent is the Chief Financial Officer of VisionFund International, the microfinance division of World Vision International, a global humanitarian aid organization. Based in London, he is responsible for a 32-country microfinance network that reaches 1.5 million clients — three-quarters of whom are women — and impacts the lives of 4.4 million children. He earned his Master of Accounting and B.S. in Business Administration from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Wednesday, February 1st 7:00 pm
Nelson Mandela Auditorium
FedEx Global Education Center
The Frank Porter Graham Lecture honors the late U.S. Senator and president of the University of North Carolina, who was a champion of freedom, democracy,
and the disadvantaged. The lecture is made possible by the gift of Taylor McMillan ’60, who established the Frank Porter Graham Lecture Series.
Honors Carolina sponsors several notable guest lectures each year, including the Frank Porter Graham Lecture, the Hillard Gold ’39 Lecture, and the Morehead-Cain Visiting Distinguished Professor Lecture.
Past speakers have included:
- Frank Bruni, New York Times OpEd columnist and best-selling author
- Ping Fu, co-founder of the 3D software company Geomagic and a member of President Obama’s National Advisory Council on Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Robbie Bach, a former Microsoft executive who led development of the Xbox
- David Simon, creator of The Wire on HBO
- Jonathan Reckford, CEO of Habitat for Humanity
- Robert Gibbs, former White House Press Secretary
Honors Carolina students have opportunities to meet with speakers for small-group discussions prior to the public lectures.
Check back for information regarding upcoming lectures.