Wednesday, October 18 – Saturday, October 21
Program Opportunities & Goals
Students will visit with alumni who have backgrounds in areas such as public policy, think tanks, lobbying, law, and government. Participating in the trek will help students:
- Learn strategies about how to prepare for a career in government, law, or policy in the DC area
- Gain a better understanding of daily life on the Hill
- Connect with Honors Carolina alumni and friends in the DC Metro area
Students must be available to travel to DC and participate in the entire trek from October 18-21, 2017. Honors Carolina is NOT able to provide students with an excused absence for classes on 10/18; students with classes on 10/18 must consult with their faculty members about class attendance. The 2017 DC Trek schedule is currently being finalized but will be similar to the 2016 itinerary. Click here to view the 2016 schedule.
Wednesday, October 18
- Meet at Graham Memorial Terrace at 7:30 a.m. and board shuttle to train station
- Depart from Raleigh (RGH) Station Building, Train #80 at 10:25 a.m.
- Arrive Washington, DC (WAS) Union Station at 4:29 p.m.
Thursday, October 19
- Meetings with alumni and distinguished professionals
- Reception with young alumni
Friday, October 20
- Meetings with alumni and distinguished professionals
Saturday, October 21
- Formal program concludes; explore monuments, museums, and other attractions
- Depart from WAS, Train #91 at 3:05 p.m.; Arrive at RGH at 8:48 p.m.
The trek costs $387 ($275 program fee and $112 round-trip train ticket)
- $275 covers the program fee and is payable to Honors Carolina by check or money order.
- $112 covers the cost of a round-trip train ticket. A one-way train ticket from Raleigh to DC is $56. Students must travel to DC on the train with the group but may travel back from DC to campus independently via transportation of their choice. Students must book their train ticket individually. (Learn about student discounts here).
- Need-based scholarships are available. Please indicate you wish to be considered for a need-based scholarship when prompted on the application.
The $275 program fee
- The $275 program fee covers 3 nights in a hotel, 3 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, 1 reception, and a Metro card.
- The $275 payment is accepted by check or money order made payable to Honors Carolina and due on Monday, October 2 at 5:00 p.m. Please note that $175 of the program fee is non-refundable as this cost covers up-front fees related to hotel accommodations and ground transportation.
Amtrak Train Ticket
- Roundtrip Amtrak Ticket from Raleigh, NC (RGH) to Washington, DC (WAS)
- 10/18 – Train #80 departs RGH at 10:25am and arrives in WAS at 4:29 p.m.
- 10/21 – Train #91 departs WAS at 3:05pm and arrives in RGH at 8:48 p.m.
- Book your ticket online at http://www.amtrak.com/home. Honors Carolina will not be booking student train tickets. (Learn about student discounts here).The program fee is $75 and covers two lunches, one dinner, and transportation. The $75 fee is payable to Honors Carolina by check or money order no later than Monday, October 2 at 5:00 p.m. and is non-refundable.
All students are required to travel to DC with the group and staff on the train. Within DC, we will be traveling by Metro and doing a lot of walking. Each student will be provided a DC Metro Smart Card and should plan to wear comfortable, professional shoes. Following the conclusion of the program, students may travel back to campus independently but are responsible for their own accommodations and arrangements.
All participants are required to stay in the group hotel for the duration of the program. Each student will be assigned a roommate.
Hotel RL Washington DC
1823 L Street NW Washington DC 20036 US | P: (202) 223-4320 | http://www.redlion.com/washington-dc
The trek will be facilitated by three Honors Carolina staff:
• Chad Collins, Honors Carolina Professional Development & Career Coach
• Kristin Pawlowski, Honors Carolina Professional Development & Career Coach
All participants are expected to attend a pre-departure meeting on Friday, October 6 from 11:00am – Noon in Graham Memorial, Rm 039. Honors Carolina will work with students who have a class conflict. Students must also join the trek GroupMe group.
During the Trek
Students are expected to present themselves in a professional manner during the entire trek and attend all scheduled meetings. Participants should wear business casual attire and appropriate shoes that are comfortable for walking.
After the trek, all students are expected to complete a short, on-line reflection survey regarding their experience. Students will also be provided Honors Carolina cards to write thank you letters to alumni and site hosts.
Students must complete the online application no later than Tuesday September 26 at 5:00 p.m. The application includes a 250-word personal statement regarding why you want to participate in the trek. Click here to complete the application.
Tues., Sept. 26, 5:00 p.m.
Application available here
TREK PAYMENT DEADLINE
Mon., Oct. 2, 5:00 p.m.
$275 check or money order made payable to Honors Carolina. Deliver to Shandol Hoover, Graham Memorial, 209.
Fri., Oct. 6, 11:00 a.m.–12:00 noon
Graham Memorial, 039
Wed., Oct. 18, 7:30 a.m.
Graham Memorial, Terrace
Sat., Oct. 21, 10:00 p.m.
Please contact Shandol Hoover, Director for Student Development & Special Projects at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-962-8088.