You must meet the following eligibility requirements to apply for the Beinecke Scholarship:
- Be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. national from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
- Have third-year (junior) student standing in the current academic year and plan to receive a baccalaureate degree in the next academic year between December and August.
- Have a documented history of receiving — or being eligible to receive — need-based financial aid during undergraduate enrollment. (Contact ODS and Ms. Holley Nichols in the UNC Office of Scholarships and Student Aid for guidance on completing the Beinecke Scholarship Financial Aid Form. This form may be typed and/or clearly handwritten in black ink. Once completed, please share this form with ODS so that we can determine your eligibility.)
- Plan to enter a master’s or doctoral program in the arts, humanities or social sciences (except students in the social sciences who plan to pursue graduate study in neuroscience).
- Possess a competitive GPA (Most competitive applicants have a 3.6 GPA or higher).
- Receive UNC’s endorsement through the Office of Distinguished Scholarships.
Deadline to Apply for UNC Endorsement
Thursday, January 12, 2017 (5:00 pm ET)
Tips & Advice
Students interested in applying for the Beinecke Scholarship should:
- Review the ODS “Tips & Advice” document for general advice on applying for a distinguished award
- Attend an ODS information session to learn more about the application process.
- Contact ODS and Ms. Holley Nichols in the UNC Office of Scholarships and Student Aid to complete the Beinecke Scholarship Financial Aid Form. This form may be typed and/or clearly handwritten in black ink. Once completed, please share this form with ODS so that we can determine your eligibility.
- Applicants who would like feedback on their essay and resume are encouraged to submit drafts to ODS before the end of the fall semester.
Recent Beinecke Scholarship Recipient
Phillip Alexander Caprara ’14 (2012-13)